B.C. flu season: Interior Health urges Okanagan residents to get immunized – Okanagan
Well being officers within the Okanagan are encouraging folks to get their flu pictures.
Inside Well being’s immunization clinics will start Nov. 1 and proceed all through the month.
“Individuals typically confuse influenza with the widespread chilly, however they aren’t the identical and are brought on by completely different viruses,” Dr. Silvina Mema, Inside Well being’s medical well being officer, mentioned in a information launch. “A chilly is normally a milder sickness that may make you uncomfortable for a couple of days.”
“In distinction, flu signs are extra debilitating, and probably life-threatening to these prone to issues.”
‘Increase your immune system’: pharmacist ideas for not getting sick this flu season
Signs of the flu could embrace fever, aches, fatigue, complications, muscle ache, a runny nostril, sore throat, and cough.
“Whenever you get the flu shot, you enhance your possibilities of going flu free this season,” Mema mentioned.
“Moreover, by getting the shot you might be constructing safety round your family members and lowering their possibilities of getting sick.”
What to anticipate this flu season and the way the flu shot can assist
The flu shot is free for the next folks:
• Individuals 65 years and older and their caregivers/family contacts;
• Individuals of any age in long-term care services;
• Youngsters and adults with power well being situations and their family contacts;
• Youngsters and adolescents (six months to 18 years) with situations handled for lengthy intervals of time with aspirin (ASA), and their family contacts;
• Youngsters and adults who’re morbidly overweight;
• Aboriginal folks;
• All youngsters six to 59 months of age;
• Family contacts and caregivers of infants and kids from start to 59 months of age;
• Pregnant ladies at any stage of being pregnant in the course of the influenza season and their family contacts;
• Guests to hospitals, well being centres and long-term care services;
• Individuals who work with dwell poultry;
• Well being-care and different care suppliers in services and group settings who’re able to transmitting influenza illness to these at excessive threat of influenza issues;
• Individuals who present care or service in potential outbreak settings housing high-risk individuals (e.g., crews on ships);
• Individuals who present important group providers (first responders, corrections employees).
WATCH: What to anticipate this flu season and the way the flu shot can assist
The flu shot is accessible by pharmacists, health-care suppliers, First Nations group well being nurses or native well being items.
To seek out an influenza clinic close to you, go to the Immunize BC Influenza Clinic Locator.
© 2018 World Information, a division of Corus Leisure Inc.
(function(d, s, id) (document, ‘script’, ‘facebook-jssdk’));
Supply hyperlink – https://globalnews.ca/information/4582239/b-c-flu-season-interior-health-urges-okanagan-residents-to-get-immunized/